Thursday, May 5, 2011

Ukulele..Pet Rat...Pioneer Dress...the Bunny Hop...Yeah, That's Stargirl

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli



The review: From the moment Stargirl sings "Happy Birthday" at her new school, strumming a ukulele and wearing a pioneer dress (like the one I wore in the 4th grade), I was in love with this character, because of how much I relate to her and also how much tweens and teens can learn from her fearlessness as they have to decide between conformity and non-conformity. The book is beautifully written. I find memorable phrases each time I re-read. I use this quote to teach metaphor: "She was the faintest scent of a cactus flower, the flitting shadow of an elf owl."

Background Info/Film Clip: Emily Dickinson believed you should memorize poetry so it would be there for you if you need it, and Stargirl is like that, because it will resonate in years to come. Stargirl as a character was brewing in Jerry Spinelli’s head for over 30 years. The character is inspired by  his wife Eileen (who is also a writer) which they discuss in this video clip from Randon House.  The film rights are sold, and they have been for years, but when will the movie be produced?

Song to Read By: "The Way I Am" By Ingrid

2 comments:

  1. I used to love this as a kid. The sequel is pretty good too. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I just reviewed the sequel as well.

    ReplyDelete