Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Going, Going...Gone


Going, Going
by Naomi Shihab Nye



For her 16th birthday wish, Florrie challenges her family and classmates to skip franchises for 16 weeks in order to make a statement by shopping at local, independent stores in downtown San Antonio, Texas. In this way, Florrie and her friends discover new and delicious restaurants, cool indie record stores, and friendly people who give the town character, history, and a personal touch.

Florrie is a vibrant character, as is the city of San Antonio in this novel. Readers will relate to Florrie’s developing sense of identity and her swinging from utter confidence and purpose to doubts about herself.

Song to Read By: Gypsy Caravan by Putumayo cd: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbYBky_73jw&list=PLE3001407127573E7 

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this one before but I really like the sound of it so I'm going to go and add it to my wishlist. Thanks!

    ComaCalm's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is one of my favorite authors. She writes beautiful poetry, travel essays, and even picture books. She is one of the writers who I admire the most.

    ReplyDelete